The aging and elderly population in the United States is expanding rapidly. There are currently more than 40 million Americans over the age of 65, and within the next decade, that number is expected to climb to as many as 60 million. Aging is a natural and unavoidable process, and we all depend on elder care facilities to provide our aging loved ones with the respect and care they deserve. Tragically, this vulnerable population of Americans is often the target of abuse and neglect in Nursing Homes and other elder care facilities. If you or a loved one is experiencing abuse or neglect in a nursing home, contact our Baton Rouge, LA, nursing home abuse attorneys today.
Types of Nursing Home Abuse
There are many different forms that nursing home abuse can take. As a whole, nursing home abuse is defined as a single or repeated action, or lack of action, on the part of a trusted caregiver that results in harm to an older person. The most common types of abuse are:
- Financial Abuse or Exploitation: Illegal or inappropriate use of funds obtained from an elderly person without their consent or knowledge.
- Neglect: Failure of a caregiver to provide proper care to an elderly person in a timely manner. This could include failure to provide a clean living space, failure to provide necessary medication, extended isolation, failure to provide necessary food or clothing, and more.
- Physical or Sexual Abuse: Any unwanted touching or physical contact with an elderly person.
- Psychological or Emotional Abuse: Any type of harassment, emotional agitation, or unnecessary anxiety made to make an elderly person feel uncomfortable or unsafe.
At some point in our lives, we may all have to depend on the care of a trusted family member or medical professional in our older years. This is why it is so important to protect the rights of our elderly population, and ensure that they have a safe and comfortable space to spend their golden years.
Our experienced and compassionate attorneys at Gauthier Amedee protect the rights of those that have experienced Elder Abuse. We ensure that the responsible parties are held accountable for their actions. Elderly relatives often don’t have the physical or mental capacity to defend themselves. That is why you need our Baton Rouge, LA, nursing home abuse attorneys to protect your older family member’s rights.
Notice the Signs
If you have noticed any of the following signs or symptoms in an older relative, it may be a sign of possible nursing home abuse or neglect:
• Unexplained bruising, cuts, scrapes or other injuries
• Untreated or infected bedsores or pressure ulcers
• Malnutrition or dehydration
• Sudden or unexpected feelings of depression, isolation, agitation or anxiety
• Sudden or unexpected weight gain or weight loss
• Medication errors or overdoses
Contact Gauthier Amedee Today
If you or a loved one has been abused or mistreated in a nursing home, contact our Baton Rouge, LA, nursing home abuse attorneys at 225-647-1700 or fill out our online contact form for a free case review. Our experienced legal team will review your case absolutely FREE, and help provide the answers you seek. You can depend on Gauthier Amedee to provide the dedicated and aggressive representation you need to secure the maximum compensation for your case.
At Gauthier Amedee, you never have to pay any attorney’s fee up front. In fact, we only get paid after you do. And if there is no recovery, there is no attorney’s fee. It’s that simple. We’re here to work hard for you and to make sure that your rights are fully protected.