Distracted Driving Remains Serious Safety Hazard for Louisiana Drivers
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimated that in 2014, there were almost 600,000 drivers using cell phones or other electronic devices at any given time during daylight hours. Studies show that even when motorists are aware of the dangers of Texting & Driving, it can be difficult for drivers to stay off of their phones while behind the wheel.
Drivers should keep their hands on the wheel, their eyes on the road, and their cell phones away at all times when operating a motor vehicle in Louisiana. Distracted Driving is dangerous and selfish behavior that puts your life, and the lives of those around you, at serious risk.
Furthermore, this estimate does not include motorists that may be distracted by other non-driving activities including:
- Eating behind the wheel of a moving vehicle
- Applying makeup or grooming while driving
- Talking to other passengers and turning your head
- Using the radio or GPS navigation systems, looking away from the road
In Louisiana, texting while driving is a primary offense and is banned for all drivers. However, drivers over the age of 18 are still permitted to talk on cell phones behind the wheel.
Here are some disturbing statistics that show just how widespread the Distracted Driving problem has become:
- According to the NHTSA, Distracted Driving was responsible for 10% of all driver fatalities in 2014.
- A study conducted by Louisiana State University in 2011 estimated that over 2,700 accidents statewide that year, were due to distractions caused by cell phones or other electronic devices.
- When traveling at a speed of 55mph, taking your eyes off the road to send a text message is equivalent to driving the length of a football field while blindfolded.
When you call our local Baton Rouge Louisiana personal injury law firm, you will speak with an experienced Louisiana Car Accident attorney absolutely FREE. Our attorneys will investigate every detail of your accident and fight hard to ensure that your rights are protected.
At Gauthier Amedee, you will never pay an attorney’s fee up front, and you owe us nothing unless we win your case. At Gauthier Amedee, we don’t get paid until you do.
Don’t delay. Get the help you need today with Gauthier Amedee.January 13th, 2016