Hit-and-Run Accident Claims the Life of one Pedestrian in Lafayette
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s most recent pedestrian traffic safety report, 102 pedestrians were fatally injured in 2015 alone. This accounted for 14% of all traffic fatalities in Louisiana that year.
A recent accident in Lafayette shows the dangers of pedestrian accidents. A man was walking in the eastbound on LA 92-1 before being struck by a vehicle. The driver of the vehicle then fled the scene, leaving the pedestrian on the road.
The initial investigation revealed the type of vehicle the man was driving which was released to the public. This led to the driver turning himself into police and he was booked at the St. Martin Parish Jail.
We would like to offer our deepest sympathy to the family and friends of the victim.
To read the full article click here.
Pedestrian accidents often yield devastating results as we have seen in this case. However, there are preventative measures both drivers and pedestrians can take to decrease the likelihood of an accident occurring.
- Keep your eyes on the road: Remain vigilant, especially after dark and in urban areas, and be on the lookout for pedestrians crossing against traffic or away from designated crosswalks.
- Drive cautiously: Reduce your vehicle’s speed when approaching a designated crosswalk, school zone, or any other areas with heavy foot traffic.
- Never pass a vehicle stopped at a crosswalk: Even if you can’t see any pedestrians getting ready to cross the street, they may be. Approach crosswalks with caution, especially if you see another vehicle already stopped.
- Utilize sidewalks: Avoid walking or running in the street whenever possible and use sidewalks when available.
- Be predictable: Drivers expect pedestrians to cross the street with the flow of traffic. Therefore, only cross the street at crosswalks and when appropriate according to traffic laws.
- Be especially cautious at night: Nearly 1/3 of all pedestrian fatalities occurred between the hours of 8 and 11:59pm. Low visibility due to darkness or bad weather puts all drivers and pedestrians at higher risk of being involved in an accident.
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a Pedestrian Accident that was not your fault, you need the experienced legal team of Gauthier Amedee on your side. Our Louisiana Pedestrian Accident Attorneys will fight hard to secure the maximum compensation for your injuries. You may be entitled to money to pay for your medical bills, lost wages, and rehabilitation costs.
Let the experienced southern Louisiana injury attorneys at Gauthier Amedee deal with the insurance companies and get you the justice you deserve. Call Gauthier Amedee today at 225-647-1700 or fill out our online form to schedule a free case evaluation.
At Gauthier Amedee, you never have to pay any attorney’s fee up front. In fact, we only get paid after you do. And if there is no recovery, there is no attorney’s fee. It’s that simple. We’re here to work hard for you and to make sure that your rights are fully protected.
Don’t delay. Get the help you need today with Gauthier Amedee.December 15th, 2017