Every day, residents throughout Louisiana walk, run, and bike on our state’s roads and highways. Whether they are commuting to work or school, or simply out to get some exercise, pedestrians have rights that must be protected at all times. Car accidents involving pedestrians cause serious, and often fatal injuries every day, and all drivers must remain aware of pedestrians on the road at all times.
When a reckless or negligent driver causes serious injuries to you or a loved one, you will need an experienced Personal Injury attorney to protect your rights. There are steps that pedestrians can take to protect themselves and try to avoid collisions with motor vehicles, but ultimately it is a driver’s responsibility to be aware and vigilant behind the wheel. Even at low speeds, being struck by a car as a pedestrian is devastating, and can result in permanent injuries and disabilities. At Gauthier Amedee, we are experienced attorneys who fight on your behalf when you are a victim of a pedestrian injury in Baton Rouge, Gonzales & Prairieville LA.
Tragically, Pedestrian Accidents are a widespread problem in the United States. Here are some statistics that show just how dangerous the roads can be for bicyclists, joggers and other pedestrians:
• In 2017, 5,977 pedestrians were killed in motor vehicle accidents.
• Tragically, young children face the highest risk of being injured in a motor vehicle accident as a pedestrian. 4% of all pedestrians injured in vehicle accidents in 2016 were children.
• In 2016, pedestrian deaths accounted for 16% of all traffic fatalities.
• In Louisiana, there were 127 pedestrian fatalities in 2016.
Take preventative steps
As a pedestrian, there are several steps you can take to reduce your risk of being involved in an accident:
• Be Aware of Your Surroundings: Always be mindful of other pedestrians, motorists and cyclists with whom you are sharing the road. Being mindful of your surroundings can give you valuable time to react in the case of an accident or dangerous situation.
• Make Yourself Clearly Visible: A tragic amount of accidents occur when motorists simply cannot see the pedestrians around them. 1 out of every 3 pedestrian fatalities occurs between 8 and 11:59pm. If you are out walking, jogging or cycling at night or during periods of low visibility, wear reflective, brightly colored clothing to alert drivers of your presence.
• Stay Off Electronic Devices: Whenever walking or running on busy streets, keep your phone and other mobile devices away until you arrive safely at your destination as they can easily distract you from your surroundings.
• Obey Posted Traffic Signs: Avoid jaywalking and other dangerous practices by following the flow of traffic and crossing the street at designated crosswalks. Stop, look, and listen for oncoming cars or bicycles, wait for the “Don’t Walk” sign to be turned off, and look both ways down the street to ensure it is safe to cross.
Contact Experienced Pedestrian Injury Lawyers in Southern Louisiana
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a Pedestrian Accident that was not your fault, you need the experienced legal team of Gauthier Amedee on your side. Our Louisiana Pedestrian Accident and Personal Injury lawyers will fight hard to secure the maximum compensation for your injuries. You may be entitled to money to pay for your medical bills, lost wages, and rehabilitation costs.
Let the experienced southern Louisiana injury attorneys at Gauthier Amedee deal with the insurance companies and get you the justice you deserve. Call us right away at 225-647-1700 and we will provide you with a FREE, confidential and no-obligation consultation about your case.
At Gauthier Amedee, you never have to pay any attorney’s fee up front. In fact, we only get paid after you do. And if there is no recovery, there is no attorney’s fee. It’s that simple. We’re here to work hard for you and to make sure that your rights are fully protected.