School Bus Accident in Prairieville Leaves Multiple Students Injured
School buses are the safest vehicle on the road, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Students are about 70 times more likely to get to school safely by taking the bus rather than travelling by car.
With these statistics, parents expect their children to get to school safely, free of injury. However, that is not always the case. Recently, a bus accident occurred in Prairieville in which several students were injured, two of which were taken to the hospital for treatment.
The accident occurred due the driver of another vehicle who was negligent and was cited for careless operation, driving under suspension, no insurance, no seat belt, and a fake inspection sticker.
To read the full article, click here.
Unfortunately because the driver was negligent, several students were injured. Below are a few bus safety tips you can discuss with your children to help keep them as safe as possible when riding the bus:
- Remain seated at all times – if you are standing up while the bus is in motion, the bus driver could come to complete stop causing you to lose your balance and fall. Additionally, if the bus is hit by another vehicle, the impact could also cause you to lose your balance and fall. Therefore, always remain seated while the bus is moving.
- Keep arms, head, and hands inside the bus – there could be obstacles such as poles and trees which could cause serious injury if any extremities are outside the vehicle.
- Do not distract the driver – the driver’s goal is to get you to school safely. Therefore, causing the driver to take his/her eyes off the road could cause a serious accident which could result in serious injury.
- Report the driver if on his/her mobile device – if you witness a bus driver using a mobile device while driving, report them to a school administrator. Texting & driving, as well as using a mobile device while driving for any reason, can cause a serious accident
- When available, use a seatbelt – not all school busses in Louisiana have seatbelts, due to lack of funding, however when they are available, use them.
Gauthier Amedee would like everyone to get to school safely. Follow these safety tips whenever you ride the bus to school.
We’ll listen to you, explain your rights under the law and fight to seek the maximum insurance recovery for you and your family. At Gauthier Amedee, you never pay any attorney’s fee up front. In fact, we only get paid after you do. And if there is no recovery, there is no attorney’s fee. It’s that simple. We’re here to work hard for you and to make sure that your rights are fully protected.
If you or a loved one is injured in any type of car or bus accident due to someone else’s negligence, call the experienced Prairieville Car Accident attorneys at Gauthier Amedee today at 225-647-1700 or fill out our online form to schedule a free case evaluation.
After a serious accident, don’t delay, call Gauthier Amedee.January 26th, 2018