For hospital patients that require surgery to recover from an injury or illness, it is widely understood that there is some degree of risk involved in most surgical procedures. Even the most skilled and highly trained surgeons may not be able to avoid complications while performing some types of complex procedures.
However, there are other types of mistakes that should never, ever occur during surgery. These errors are referred to in medical circles as “never events,” and they can cause severe, permanent, and sometimes fatal injuries to patients. When surgical errors lead to serious injury or death, the surgical team and hospital responsible for treating the injured patient can be held liable for the damage.
Surgical Errors include:
• Using unsterilized tools to perform surgery, leading to infections
• Punctured or perforated organ
• Surgery performed on the wrong body part
• Delayed surgery (patient dies while waiting for surgery)
• Prolonged surgery (patient dies in the operating room)
• Anesthesia errors
Tragically, medical errors remain the third leading cause of death in the United States. These events claim an estimated 250,000 lives annually, more than all other medical conditions besides only cancer and heart disease. Surgical errors make up a large portion of these medical mistakes, and these “never events” are more common than you may think:
• A 2012 study at Johns Hopkins University found that there are at least 4,000 “never events” during surgery every year in the U.S.
• Between 1990 and 2010, a total of 80,000 “never events” were recorded in U.S hospitals.
• The same 2012 study estimated that at least 39 times per week, a surgeon is responsible for leaving a foreign object inside a patient during a procedure.
• Surgeons operating on the wrong part of the body or performing the wrong kind of procedure happens a stunning 20 times per week on average.
Patients place their trust, and sometimes their very lives, in the hands of surgeons. When preventable medical errors caused by negligence cause a serious or permanent injury, or even the wrongful death of a family member, you will need an experienced Surgical Error and Medical Malpractice legal team by your side. At Gauthier Amedee, we can provide the help you need right away.
Call Gauthier Amedee for help
Every Surgery Error case is unique, and Gauthier Amedee has the experience and knowledge necessary to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation for your injuries. Call us today at 225-647-1700 to receive a FREE, confidential and no-obligation consultation about your case.
Revision surgeries, physical rehabilitation, and the trauma of suffering a surgical error can take an enormous toll on injured patients. Our experienced Louisiana Surgery Error and Medical Malpractice team will provide the dedicated and aggressive representation you need to secure the justice you deserve.
At Gauthier Amedee, you never have to pay any attorney’s fee up front. In fact, we only get paid after you do. And if there is no recovery, there is no attorney’s fee. It’s that simple. We’re here to work hard for you and to make sure that your rights are fully protected.