The Important Role of Tires in Vehicle Safety
By now, we know the grave risks associated with distracted driving. Now, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports another concern—one often overlooked. Recently released data indicates faulty tires contribute to more fatalities than drivers on cell phones. On average, an estimated 700 people die annually due to failed or faulty tires. In contrast, deaths related to phone use have not exceeded 500 in any year for which the NHTSA has data.
An Overlooked Safety Issue
As the only part of a vehicle in direct contact with the road, tires play a vital role in handling, ride, braking, and acceleration. They require proper inflation, sufficient tread, and correct balance. The American Automobile Association (AAA) recommends monthly safety inspections on tires. Tires used in cold climates, on long commutes, or on rough roads may require more frequent care.
Visual & Performance Clues
With the exception of road hazards, punctures, or a blowout, your tires usually provide telltale signs that they may require service or replacement. A few of the common indicators are as follows:
- Excessive Center/Edge Wear: Excessive contact-patch wear at either the center or outer edges of a tire’s tread is a typical sign of over- or under-inflation.
- Alignment/Suspension Issues: Erratic tread wear—or excess wear on one edge of a tire’s tread—could point to alignment, balance, or suspension problems.
- Tread/Sidewall Bubbling: A bubble or bulge in a tire’s tread or sidewall typically means a tire’s inner belts have shifted out of their normal position.
- Vibration/Noise While Driving: Noise or vibration in motion typically indicates a tire has a flat spot, is out-of-balance, or has undergone belt shift.
- Pulling to One Side: A vehicle that pulls to one side while in motion may have an under-inflated or damaged tire—or potential alignment/braking issues.
If you experience any of these issues—and are uncomfortable servicing your vehicle yourself—have these problems inspected by a certified automotive repair technician as quickly as possible.
We Can Help
Our legal team will examine every detail of your case and provide the experienced, compassionate and dedicated representation you need to secure the maximum compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. We’re here to work hard for you and to make sure that your rights are fully protected. If you or a loved one has been injured in a traffic accident, call the experienced Louisiana Car Accident attorneys at Gauthier Amedee today at 225-647-1700 or fill out our online form to schedule a free case evaluation.
Don’t delay. Get the help you need today with Gauthier Amedee.March 4th, 2019