Traffic Accidents Involving Pedestrians Cause Thousands of Fatalities Every Year
This week a pedestrian was fatally injured in Gonzales after being struck by a car while crossing the street. Police are investigating this accident and are trying to determine whether or not alcohol may have been a factor in the accident.
Pedestrian accidents such as this one are a serious safety problem in Louisiana and throughout the United States. Unfortunately, the most recent data on Pedestrian Accidents in the United States shows that much more needs to be done in order to protect the safety of pedestrians.
According to the most recent data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- 4,884 pedestrians were killed in traffic accidents nationwide in 2014.
- In Louisiana, 97 pedestrians were fatally injured in traffic accidents in 2013.
- According to the Governor’s Highway Safety Association, 43 pedestrians in Louisiana were fatally injured between the months of January and June, 2014 alone.
Pedestrians have a right to safely share the roads, but they must also take steps to protect their own safety. Here are some important safety tips to keep in mind whether you are walking for exercise, to commute to work or school, or simply for recreation:
- Use the Sidewalk when Available: Stick to the sidewalk and avoid walking on the street whenever you can. If you must walk in the street, walk facing traffic and stay as far away from traffic as possible.
- Always Cross the Street at Designated Crosswalks: Crosswalks are always the safest place for pedestrians to cross the street. Drivers are more likely to slow down and watch for pedestrians near designated crosswalks, which reduce the chance of an accident occurring.
- Be Visible When Walking at Night: Statistics show that 70% of all pedestrian accidents in 2013 took place between the hours of 6pm and 6am. If you are walking or running at night, make sure to wear bright, reflective clothing that will help drivers see you on the road.
When you call, you will speak with an experienced Louisiana Pedestrian Accident lawyer absolutely FREE. We will investigate every detail of your situation and fight to protect your rights. At Gauthier Amedee you will never pay an attorney’s fee up front. In fact, you owe us nothing unless we recover for you.
At Gauthier Amedee, we don’t get paid until you do.
Don’t delay. Get the help you need today with Gauthier Amedee.February 19th, 2016