Travel Safely This Thanksgiving
As the Thanksgiving holiday draws near, many Americans are preparing to reunite with relatives and friends in other cities, other states, or even in other countries. The American Automobile Association (AAA) predicts 42.5 million Americans will travel more than 50 miles from home over the holiday weekend. With this in mind, Gauthier Amedee offers a few useful travel tips.
Your Holiday Checklist
Consumer Reports magazine offers the following safe driving tips for holiday travelers.
- Fuel up, top-off fluids, and check tire pressure before leaving on a long trip
- Stock up on emergency supplies, water, snacks, and medications
- Pack your gear properly to prevent an injury hazard if you stop short
- Secure your pets in travel crates or with harnesses when in motion
- If possible, drive at night or early in the morning to avoid traffic
- Avoid distractions—including phone calls and text messages
- Always use your seat belt—and make sure children or pets are secured
- If in winter weather, reduce speed and allow for longer braking distances
- Maintain control in fog, snow, and rain—or even mechanical failure
Other Helpful Advice
When planning your holiday travels, the American Safety Council also recommends the following safety tips to make your trip easier.
- Choose Alternate Travel Days: To avoid traffic congestion or other roadside problems, leave a day early—or consider staying at your destination an additional day.
- Use a Traffic-Enabled GPS: A GPS device that provides real-time traffic information lets you explore options for alternate routes around traffic or construction.
- Get Enough Rest: Before you get on the road, make sure you are well-rested and alert enough to drive—allowing enough time for frequent rest stops if necessary.
- Mind the Weather: Thanksgiving weekend can bring potentially hazardous weather to many parts of the country—so be sure to keep a close eye on the travel forecast.
We Can Help
If you or a loved one has been injured in a traffic accident, call the experienced Louisiana Car Accident attorneys at Gauthier Amedee at 225-647-1700. You can also submit a free case evaluation form on our website. When you call, you will speak with a leading Louisiana Car Accident lawyer for FREE.
Call our experienced Louisiana car accident lawyers. Our legal team will examine every detail of your case and provide the experienced, compassionate and dedicated representation you need to secure the maximum compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. We’re here to work hard for you and to make sure that your rights are fully protected.