With a New School Year Just Around the Corner, Louisiana Launches New Bike Safety Campaign
Last week, the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development kicked off a new bicycle safety program. The “Be a ‘Roll’ Model” Campaign aims to educate Louisianans about the importance of bike safety while providing tips for how to reduce the risk of accidents and serious injuries.
A new school year is right around the corner. Now is a good time to refresh yourself, and your children, on bicycle safety. Not only is bicycling a great way to commute to school or work, it is also an enjoyable after-school activity that promotes a healthy, active lifestyle.
Unfortunately, riding a bicycle leaves you exposed to suffering serious injuries when drivers of passenger vehicles fail to safely share the road. That is why it is important to practice proper bicycle safety at all times every time you go out for a ride.
The “Be a ‘Roll’ Model” Campaign, 8/1 – 8/19 promotes the following tips to help Louisianans act as a “roll” model for young cyclists:
• Always wear a helmet. Helmet use is required to children ages 12 and under in Louisiana.
• Stay as visible as possible. Be sure to have a headlight, taillight and reflectors when riding at night. Avoid wearing dark clothing when biking after the sun sets.
• Be alert of other passing vehicles on the road. Use bike lanes when they are available.
• Stay as far to the right as safely possible and ride along the flow of traffic.
• Use proper hand signals. Use hand signals to alert drivers before you make a turn. This will help drivers give you the space you need to safely execute the turn. Click here for a breakdown of bicycle hand signals.
The “Be a ‘Roll’ Model” Campaign was created in an effort to reduce the total number of bicycle-related fatalities across Louisiana. Just last year in Louisiana, the number of fatalities involving bicycle accidents almost tripled, jumping from only 13 deaths in 2014 to 34 fatalities in 2015.
At Gauthier Amedee, Baton Rouge, Gonzales and Prairieville, Louisiana Personal Injury law firm, we care deeply about the safety of you, your family, and every member of our community. We want to do our part to raise awareness about proper bicycle safety during the “Be a ‘Roll’ Model” Campaign.
Drivers of motor vehicles have a responsibility to safely share the road with bicyclists. If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a bicycle accident that was not your fault, call Gauthier Amedee today at 225-647-1700 or fill out our online form to schedule a free case evaluation.
When you call, an experienced Louisiana Bicycle Accident attorney will speak with you for free and help provide the answers you seek. At Gauthier Amedee, we will fight to protect your rights and help you through your situation.
All cases are handled on a contingency fee basis, which means you will never pay an attorney’s fee up front. We don’t get paid unless we recover for you.
Don’t Delay. Get the help you need today with Gauthier Amedee.August 10th, 2016